From: hasufell <hasufell@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] libressl status
Date: Fri, 03 Apr 2015 11:32:11
1 On 04/03/2015 01:49 AM, Paul B. Henson wrote:
2 > What is the current status/thoughts regarding libressl? Reviewing the
3 > bug and some past threads, it sounds like the initial plan was to make
4 > openssl a virtual and let either classic openssl or libressl fulfull it?
5
6 Not anymore. We will go for "libressl" USE flag for the same reason
7 there is a "libav" USE flag now (working subslots etc).
8
9 > I'm not sure if things have changed from that viewpoint, but it really
10 > doesn't seem they're going to be plug and play compatible 8-/. libressl
11 > offers functionality openssl doesn't and vice versa, and playing nicely
12 > with each other doesn't seem to be on the agenda of either. It seems it
13 > might make more sense to treat them more like openssl and gnutls, where
14 > they both provide similar ssl functionality but a given package might
15 > use one, the other, or either?
18 Renaming library file names is a no-go, imo. Same story with symlink
19 hacks via eselect.
20
21 > The specific reason for my current inquiry is that the latest openntpd
22 > release includes the new support from openbsd for "constraints", where
23 > basically you can verify ntp time sources by checking their time
24 > relative to a trusted TLS server (which provides the time in HTTP
25 > headers). This functionality requires libtls, part of libressl. openssl
26 > provides no compatible functionality, so this is a case where they're
27 > not plug-and-play, openntpd requires libressl specifically.
30 Well, since openntpd is developed by BSD guys, no wonder about that
31 decision... I guess you could still try to provide a compatibility patch
32 for openssl.