From: Magnus Therning <magnus.therning@×××××××.nl>
To: gentoo-dev@g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Gentoo and IBM Websphere Kits
Date: Sat, 29 Jun 2002 01:39:36
1 On Fri, Jun 28, 2002 at 02:24:58PM -0400, Jim Michael wrote:
2 > I have two questions.
3
4 I can only give you some sort of answer to the second...
5
6 > 1. I would like to use IBM's Websphere, kits they offer at
7 > developerWorks.
8 > http://www-106.ibm.com/developerworks/offers/linux-speed-start/?tab=webservices/index
9 >
10 > IBM recommends Red Hat or SuSE. I haven't installed Gentoo yet but am
11 > very interested to use Gentoo since I have a OpenBSD and Python
12 > background.
13 >
14 > Does anyone know it I can run the IBM's Websphere kits on Gentoo
15 > rather than Red Hat or SuSe? Is there something inherently different
16 > in Red Hat or SuSe that I need to use one of those distros
19 > 2. Can you install Gentoo booting from a floppy rather than a CD. My
20 > machine won't boot from a CD. ( I read the install information but
21 > did not find an answer. Sorry if I overlooked it.)
22
23 The CD only provides a basic Linux system that allows you to do the
24 following:
25
26 - run fdisk
27 - format partitions
28 - mount partitions
29 - untar the stage1 tar-ball
30 - chroot
31
32 If you have another way of getting into a Linux system that allows you
33 to do the same you are in business. I like to use my second Linux system
34 (minimal for rescue and test operations :-) to do the things mentioned
35 above.
36
37 In short: it ought to be possible to install Gentoo using a floppy. The
38 tar-ball is too big to fit on a floppy though, so you need to store it
39 somewhere (e.g. on a partition that you won't be reformatting).
40
41 /M
44 Magnus Therning (OpenPGP: 0x6A83A7DF)
45 magnus.therning@×××××××.nl
46 http://www.lysator.liu.se/~magus/
47
48 Outside of a dog, computers are a man's best friend, inside a dog it's too
49 dark to type.