From: Tom Wijsman <TomWij@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Proper distribution integration of kernel *-sources, patches and configuration.
Date: Wed, 03 Jul 2013 13:09:16
1 On Tue, 2 Jul 2013 21:16:07 +0300
2 Sergei Trofimovich <slyfox@g.o> wrote:
3
4 > udev's case:
5 > It's _not_ the kernel which upgrade breaks user's system. Why do you
6 > try to "fix" it? If you want to save user's box - make check at
7 > pre-install time. Otherwise it will break.
8
9 Won't work for stage3's case, where this check won't run.
10
11 > kernel's case:
12 > CONFIG_DEVTMPFS needs 'default yes', right? One-liner to
13 > gentoo-sources.
14
15 It's not as simple as a one-liner, because we need to respect people
16 that want to build a kernel without that; not everyone who uses
17 genpatches runs a Gentoo system, and note every other OS needs that
18 variable to enabled.
19
20 > Why 'hide' it? It's very counterintuitive.
21
22 What is being hidden?
23
24 > What will you do with all-those-required-to-boot-properly
25 > - root filesystem
26 > - disk controller
27 > - USB keyboard drivers
28 > ?
29 > Include them all unless CONFIG_DONT_REMOVER_OR_WONT_BOOT
30 > option?
31
32 These don't fall under options that need to be enabled for everyone.
33
34 From what I see on chat and forums, people often set all these fine;
35 yet they not always enable CONFIG_DEVTMPFS and similar variables.
36
37 We deal with the absolutely necessary, not spoon feed every option.
38
39 > I'm afraid I don't see how it's a solution.
40 > Suppose, tomorrow's udev will require CONFIG_foo, and glibc will
41 > require CONFIG_bar. How will you save user with your mechanism?
42
43 I don't see how we don't save them; but well, I'm not entirely sure if
44 you're talking about the opening post mechanism or another one here.
47 With kind regards,
48
49 Tom Wijsman (TomWij)
50 Gentoo Developer
51
52 E-mail address : TomWij@g.o
53 GPG Public Key : 6D34E57D
54 GPG Fingerprint : C165 AF18 AB4C 400B C3D2 ABF0 95B2 1FCD 6D34 E57D