From: Sergei Trofimovich <slyfox@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Proper distribution integration of kernel *-sources, patches and configuration.
Date: Tue, 02 Jul 2013 18:18:26
1 On Tue, 2 Jul 2013 10:21:53 +0200
2 Fabio Erculiani <lxnay@g.o> wrote:
3
4 > On Tue, Jul 2, 2013 at 9:36 AM, Sergei Trofimovich <slyfox@g.o> wrote:
5 > > [ sorry, a lot to quote ]
6 > >
7 > > What upstream do you plan to report bugs when user possibly mixes
8 > > all of it in one mess? Each of those is known to be unstable. The mix
9 > > is just a disaster.
10 > >
11 > > Is gentoo's kernel team able to resolve user's OOpsen?
12 > >
13 > >> ### ... and configuration. ###
14 > >>
15 > >> This problem is not only visible for patches, but also in the config.
16 > >
17 > > Insane :]
18 > >
19 > >> Meet CONFIG_DEVTMPFS; forget to enable it, greet a failing boot. We're
20 > >> telling users to enable it in some places, in the handbook it's a single
21 > >> line you must read, on the Wiki it's kind of missing unless you are
22 > >> luckily on the right page, on the Quick Install book it is missing too.
23 > >
24 > > Forbid users install udev to ROOT=/ if running kernel does not support devtmpfs
25 > > (easy to check by /proc/filesystems)
26 >
27 > No. As explained multiple times, this check is not reliable and
28 > doesn't work (chroot, binpkgs, containers without kernel, and so
29 > on...).
30 > Making sure that the user doesn't build an unbootable kernel is the way to go.
31
32 udev's case:
33 It's _not_ the kernel which upgrade breaks user's system. Why do you try to "fix" it?
34 If you want to save user's box - make check at pre-install time. Otherwise it will break.
35
36 containers, etc. case:
37 If you build gentoo(and, what really matters _install_) in container
38 - you can run gentoo in container. Yes, with it's stock broken kernel.
39
40 Who cares what you have built if the host is xen-3.0.6 with CONFIG_DEVTMPFS=n?
41 If you really want to proceed unsafe action you need to do it explicitely.
42
43 kernel's case:
44 CONFIG_DEVTMPFS needs 'default yes', right? One-liner to gentoo-sources.
45 Why 'hide' it? It's very counterintuitive.
46
47 What will you do with all-those-required-to-boot-properly
48 - root filesystem
49 - disk controller
50 - USB keyboard drivers
51 ?
52 Include them all unless CONFIG_DONT_REMOVER_OR_WONT_BOOT
53 option?
54
55 I'm afraid I don't see how it's a solution.
56 Suppose, tomorrow's udev will require CONFIG_foo, and glibc will require
57 CONFIG_bar. How will you save user with your mechanism?
61 Sergei