From: Simon Stelling <blubb@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] combining x86 and amd64
Date: Thu, 01 Sep 2005 17:46:10
1 Stephen P. Becker wrote:
2 >> Using a single keyword would make us unable to mark for example
3 >> helixplayer (source) x86 and -amd64 at the same time (as it's now).
6 > So package.mask it in the (now hypothetical) amd64 sub-profile, and it
7 > is fixed.
8
9 That's exactly why i don't like the idea of merging keywords: You loose the
10 ~arch state. Quite a big share of packages work without a single issue on x86,
11 but they're still experimental on amd64 (although they generally work). And x86
12 devs wont wait on us just because we say 'nooo, not stable enough' nor will they
13 fix our bugs, as most of them aren't reproducible on x86.
14
15 Also, you can't compare sparc32/sparc64 to x86/amd64: sparc64 is just a 64bit
16 kernel with a 32bit userland. For users who want that, there is already a
17 keyword: x86.
20 Simon Stelling
21 Gentoo/AMD64 Operational Co-Lead
22 blubb@g.o