From: splite-gentoo@××××××××××××××××.edu
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] combining x86 and amd64
Date: Fri, 02 Sep 2005 19:36:08
1 On Thu, Sep 01, 2005 at 07:42:46PM +0200, Simon Stelling wrote:
2 >
3 > Also, you can't compare sparc32/sparc64 to x86/amd64: sparc64 is just a
4 > 64bit kernel with a 32bit userland. For users who want that, there is
5 > already a keyword: x86.
6
7 Actually, what I want is a 32-bit x86 userland with a 64-bit kernel and
8 multilib'd gcc, bintools, and glibc. In other words, a 32-bit userland
9 that my users can still compile and run their 64-bit number crunchers on.
10 They don't need 64-bit X11, KDE, GNOME, etc. They do, however, want their
11 Flash and Acroread plugins to work.
12
13 I've kludged together such a system by hand and it's quite nice. Browser
14 plugins and binary-only programs (StarOffice, etc.) work as expected.
15 gcc defaults to building 32-bit binaries that still work on my users'
16 older systems, but a quick "-m64" will deliver the 64-bit goodness (use
17 as directed.)
18
19 Anyone have a way of doing this that doesn't involve wholesale plundering
20 of binaries from an amd64 box? Some funky bouillabaisse of use flags,
21 profiles, and gcc hoodoo? Or am I the only one who thinks this is a pretty
22 neat idea (digital watches notwithstanding)?
23 --
24 gentoo-dev@g.o mailing list