From: Paul de Vrieze <pauldv@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Issues with using Subversion or arch for kernel development
Date: Mon, 26 Jan 2004 21:06:55
1 On Monday 26 January 2004 02:00, Andrew P. Lentvorski, Jr. wrote:
2 >
3 > What are the failures of Subversion and/or arch?
4
5 Subversion is in general not really good with really big repositories like the
6 portage tree. Checking in an out a whole tree takes too much time for
7 example, and there are wories (not researched) about whether it will allow
8 concurrent access (concurrent read access is no problem). In general
9 subversion is not ready to support the portage tree in our point.
10
11 > To my mind, the web server dependency of subversion was a negative because
12 > I was always dealing with small projects. However, I could see where
13 > bundling this stuff up into a webserver could be a bonus for a large
14 > project who already maintains their own web server.
15
16 You don't need to use it, but it is great if you have to deal with braindead
17 admins that only let you use internet through a proxy because that would be
18 safer. (As if I can't sent everything I want over CONNECT)
19
20 Paul
23 Paul de Vrieze
24 Gentoo Developer