From: "Andrew P. Lentvorski
To: Brian Jackson <iggy@g.o>
Cc: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-dev] Issues with using Subversion or arch for kernel development
Date: Mon, 26 Jan 2004 00:54:01
1 On Sun, 25 Jan 2004, Andrew P. Lentvorski, Jr. wrote:
2
3 > On Sat, 24 Jan 2004, Brian Jackson wrote:
4 >
5 > > We can't really subject cvs.gentoo.org to the kind of abuse that 5 kernel
6 > > trees would introduce. Subversion isn't an option (and I'd assume that arch,
7 > > and others isn't either).
8 >
9 > Once you decide to dump CVS, backward compability and user familiarity are
10 > removed as relevant problems. What are the other obstacles to using
11 > Subversion or arch?
12
13 I really am interested in seeing the technical merits and failures of some
14 of the systems discussed without reference to the political issues.
15
16 What are the failures of Subversion and/or arch?
17
18 To my mind, the web server dependency of subversion was a negative because
19 I was always dealing with small projects. However, I could see where
20 bundling this stuff up into a webserver could be a bonus for a large
21 project who already maintains their own web server.
22
23 arch used to have the problem of some absolutely abysmal performance
24 because it was just a bunch of shell scripts. However, it has evolved
25 quite a bit and had some C code rewrites. What other issues are there
26 with using it?
27
28 -a
32 gentoo-dev@g.o mailing list