From: "Ævar Arnfjörð Bjarmason" <jeedo@×××××××××××××××××.net>
To: "Andrew P. Lentvorski, Jr." <bsder@×××××××.org>
Cc: Brian Jackson <iggy@g.o>, gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Issues with using Subversion or arch for kernel development
Date: Mon, 26 Jan 2004 01:19:56
1 Andrew P. Lentvorski, Jr. wrote:
2 > On Sun, 25 Jan 2004, Andrew P. Lentvorski, Jr. wrote:
5 >>On Sat, 24 Jan 2004, Brian Jackson wrote:
8 >>>We can't really subject cvs.gentoo.org to the kind of abuse that 5 kernel
9 >>>trees would introduce. Subversion isn't an option (and I'd assume that arch,
10 >>>and others isn't either).
11 >>
12 >>Once you decide to dump CVS, backward compability and user familiarity are
13 >>removed as relevant problems. What are the other obstacles to using
14 >>Subversion or arch?
17 > I really am interested in seeing the technical merits and failures of some
18 > of the systems discussed without reference to the political issues.
19 >
20 > What are the failures of Subversion and/or arch?
21
22 svn: a bit slower is the only argument i've found against it (use it myself)
23 and of course "it isnt CVS"
24
25 > To my mind, the web server dependency of subversion was a negative because
26 > I was always dealing with small projects. However, I could see where
27 > bundling this stuff up into a webserver could be a bonus for a large
28 > project who already maintains their own web server.
29
30 Subversion DOES NOT, have a webserver dependency, alot of people think this is
31 true and vote against it based on that (actually the webserver arrangement
32 totally kicks ass) but if you dont like it just use what you currently use with
33 CVS, subversion over ssh or svn+ssh:// not http(s)://, you can even use the
34 standalone svnd but you are far fron required to do so, its optional but nobody
35 says you have to, the reson most people do it because its simply the best way
36 to do it.
37
38 > arch used to have the problem of some absolutely abysmal performance
39 > because it was just a bunch of shell scripts. However, it has evolved
40 > quite a bit and had some C code rewrites. What other issues are there
41 > with using it?
42 >
43 > -a
46 > --