From: Brian Jackson <iggy@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Issues with using Subversion or arch for kernel development
Date: Mon, 26 Jan 2004 01:21:06
1 On Sunday 25 January 2004 07:00 pm, Andrew P. Lentvorski, Jr. wrote:
2 > On Sun, 25 Jan 2004, Andrew P. Lentvorski, Jr. wrote:
3 > > On Sat, 24 Jan 2004, Brian Jackson wrote:
4 > > > We can't really subject cvs.gentoo.org to the kind of abuse that 5
5 > > > kernel trees would introduce. Subversion isn't an option (and I'd
6 > > > assume that arch, and others isn't either).
7 > >
8 > > Once you decide to dump CVS, backward compability and user familiarity
9 > > are removed as relevant problems. What are the other obstacles to using
10 > > Subversion or arch?
11 >
12 > I really am interested in seeing the technical merits and failures of some
13 > of the systems discussed without reference to the political issues.
14 >
15 > What are the failures of Subversion and/or arch?
16
17 Not really any failures keeping it from being considered. The infrastructure
18 team wants to support cvs and only cvs.
21 > To my mind, the web server dependency of subversion was a negative because
22 > I was always dealing with small projects. However, I could see where
23 > bundling this stuff up into a webserver could be a bonus for a large
24 > project who already maintains their own web server.
25
26 That isn't a dependency any longer, you don't even need to run any extra
27 service to use it. It can work perfectly well with just ssh.
30 > arch used to have the problem of some absolutely abysmal performance
31 > because it was just a bunch of shell scripts. However, it has evolved
32 > quite a bit and had some C code rewrites. What other issues are there
33 > with using it?
34
35 I tried playing with arch when I first started toying with this idea. I didn't
36 get very far, mostly because I couldn't find any good docs, and it's a
37 complicated piece of software.
38
39 --Iggy
42 > -a