From: Sebastian Pipping <sping@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Needs ideas: Upcoming circular dependency: expat <> CMake
Date: Thu, 19 Dec 2019 14:39:56
1 Hey!
4 Thanks everyone for your thoughts so far!
5
6 From what I heard, these two options seem realistic to me:
7
8 A) Ask the KDE team for help with teaming up on a new package
9 dev-util/cmake-bootstrap, keep it in sync with dev-util/cmake,
10 make sure both packages co-exists with full disjoint operation,
11 i.e. zero file conflicts + zero cross package file usage (tricky?).
12
13 B) Introduce USE flag "system-expat" to CMake similar to existing
14 flag "system-jsoncpp", have it off by default, keep reminding
15 CMake upstream to update their bundle
16
17 I favor (B) by more than just a bit. Does anyone have strong concerns
18 against moving in the dev-util/cmake[-system-expat] (B) direction? Is
19 it acceptable if I make those changes to the CMake ebuild myself?
20
21 Thanks again
25 Sebastian