From: "Michał Górny" <mgorny@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Needs ideas: Upcoming circular dependency: expat <> CMake
Date: Thu, 19 Dec 2019 16:04:09
1 On Thu, 2019-12-19 at 15:39 +0100, Sebastian Pipping wrote:
2 > Hey!
5 > Thanks everyone for your thoughts so far!
6 >
7 > From what I heard, these two options seem realistic to me:
8 >
9 > A) Ask the KDE team for help with teaming up on a new package
10 > dev-util/cmake-bootstrap, keep it in sync with dev-util/cmake,
11 > make sure both packages co-exists with full disjoint operation,
12 > i.e. zero file conflicts + zero cross package file usage (tricky?).
13 >
14 > B) Introduce USE flag "system-expat" to CMake similar to existing
15 > flag "system-jsoncpp", have it off by default, keep reminding
16 > CMake upstream to update their bundle
17 >
18 > I favor (B) by more than just a bit. Does anyone have strong concerns
19 > against moving in the dev-util/cmake[-system-expat] (B) direction? Is
20 > it acceptable if I make those changes to the CMake ebuild myself?
23 It violates the policy on bundled libraries. What's worse, the awful
24 USE flags solution means that most of the Gentoo devs end up using
25 bundled libraries just because people are manually required to figure
26 out what to do in order to disable them.
29 Best regards,
30 Michał Górny