From: Sebastian Pipping <sping@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Needs ideas: Upcoming circular dependency: expat <> CMake
Date: Thu, 19 Dec 2019 17:28:44
1 Hey!
4 On 19.12.19 17:03, Michał Górny wrote:
5 >> B) Introduce USE flag "system-expat" to CMake similar to existing
6 >> flag "system-jsoncpp", have it off by default, keep reminding
7 >> CMake upstream to update their bundle
8 >>
9 >> [..]
10 >
11 > It violates the policy on bundled libraries.
12
13 Same for the dev-util/cmake-bootstrap approach, right?
16 > What's worse, the awful
17 > USE flags solution means that most of the Gentoo devs end up using
18 > bundled libraries just because people are manually required to figure
19 > out what to do in order to disable them.
20
21 I didn't say that it's perfect :) It's the same approach that we have
22 have with the system-jsoncpp USE flag already so that was considered
23 good enough at some point in the past. I guess we want the same for
24 Expat and jsoncpp? Which alternative do you see as better than a new
25 flag system-expat?
26
27 Best
31 Sebastian