From: "Michał Górny" <mgorny@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Needs ideas: Upcoming circular dependency: expat <> CMake
Date: Thu, 19 Dec 2019 17:37:37
1 On Thu, 2019-12-19 at 18:28 +0100, Sebastian Pipping wrote:
2 > Hey!
5 > On 19.12.19 17:03, Michał Górny wrote:
6 > > > B) Introduce USE flag "system-expat" to CMake similar to existing
7 > > > flag "system-jsoncpp", have it off by default, keep reminding
8 > > > CMake upstream to update their bundle
9 > > >
10 > > > [..]
11 > >
12 > > It violates the policy on bundled libraries.
13 >
14 > Same for the dev-util/cmake-bootstrap approach, right?
17 > > What's worse, the awful
18 > > USE flags solution means that most of the Gentoo devs end up using
19 > > bundled libraries just because people are manually required to figure
20 > > out what to do in order to disable them.
21 >
22 > I didn't say that it's perfect :) It's the same approach that we have
23 > have with the system-jsoncpp USE flag already so that was considered
24 > good enough at some point in the past. I guess we want the same for
25 > Expat and jsoncpp? Which alternative do you see as better than a new
26 > flag system-expat?
29 Just because someone did something crappy, it doesn't mean it was
30 considered 'good enough'. It was just a cheap hack that someone once
31 did just to get it over with and stop caring. Not a good solution we
32 should keep copying.
33
34 We have a better alternative that lets us limit the impact on the users.
35 Why not use it?
38 Best regards,
39 Michał Górny