From: Nicholas Jones <carpaski@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o, gentoo-core@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-dev] Re: [gentoo-core] Re: [gentoo-dev] gentoo's policy on sender id
Date: Mon, 06 Sep 2004 18:36:40
1 > It's a slippery slope to reject ebuilds because we don't agree with the
2 > licenses imposed on the developers of those packages, or because we believe
3 > that they violate software patents. Where do you draw the line? There is no
4 > doubt that the linux kernel violates some (bad) patents. Should it
5 > potentially be removed? How about quake3 - I'm not allowed to rebrand and
6 > redistribute it without paying a lot of money for a license. Should it also
7 > be excluded from gentoo?
8
9 The difference is optional component versus a (required) standard.
10 This licence applies to an Internet Standard. Something that is to
11 be implemented Internationally on a critical infrastructure. If you
12 wanted to modify this standard, you would be subject to Microsoft's
13 licensing and approval _prior_ to the work, or you'd be subject to
14 suit.
15
16 You don't have to have quake3 to receive you're email from your bank,
17 but it's entirely possible that the only way you'll be able to
18 communicate with utilities and other businesses is via a Standard
19 protocol that subjects you to a non-public license.
20
21 What happens if you ISP is using postfix and for some reason
22 Microsoft terminates the agreement allowing Postfix to user
23 sender-id? Would your mail be dropped?
24
25 The problem with Sender-ID is almost purely the license. If MS has
26 no malintent with this creation, then they can provide all parts
27 under an agreement that is suitable for GLOBAL acceptance and
28 without termination clauses, et al.
29
30 --NJ