From: Chris Bainbridge <chrb@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Cc: gentoo-core@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] gentoo's policy on sender id
Date: Mon, 06 Sep 2004 10:30:20
1 On Sunday 05 September 2004 22:33, Nicholas Jones wrote:
2 > Recall that every distro has dropped XFree because of the
3 > 'logo adjacency' issue? Violation of the GPL... Well, that
4 > is merely _one_ problem with Sender-ID.
5 >
6 > We would not have the infrastructure to manage compliance
7 > with such an annoying licence. I am not certain on this
8 > point here, but it's entirely possible that arbitrary linking
9 > of applications with sender-id may be inducing a violation
10 > of the agreement. It's possible that we would be liable.
11 >
12 > There are also points regarding termination of the licence
13 > and the inability to transfer it. So there is no guarentee
14 > that software using sender-id could be passed on to another
15 > developer/team. Suddenly finding yourself in violation of
16 > a license is probably not a good idea if your income is
17 > zero, especially facing a prosecution with several billion
18 > in the bank.
19
20 From the gentoo point of view all of these problems are restrictions on
21 redistribution. At worst, RESTRICT="nomirror" solves them. Lets at least have
22 a consistent policy - we already have software (particularly games) that we
23 aren't allowed to redistribute. Sender-id software is no different. Having
24 said that, I doubt that this patent actually prohibits 3rd party mirrors like
25 cnet.
26
27 Theres no doubt that this is a bad patent/license from a software developer
28 point of view, but gentoo is not in the business of developing mail server
29 software. The decision of whether to support sender-id should be left in the
30 hands of people who are (or are we going to start patching postfix to remove
31 code?).
32
33 It's a slippery slope to reject ebuilds because we don't agree with the
34 licenses imposed on the developers of those packages, or because we believe
35 that they violate software patents. Where do you draw the line? There is no
36 doubt that the linux kernel violates some (bad) patents. Should it
37 potentially be removed? How about quake3 - I'm not allowed to rebrand and
38 redistribute it without paying a lot of money for a license. Should it also
39 be excluded from gentoo?
40
41 > Someone get a law degree from somewhere and argue with me,
42 > please.
43
44 You can email Microsofts licensing people and they will forward any questions
45 they can't answer to their lawyers. It might be useful to do this anyway, for
46 future protection.
49 gentoo-dev@g.o mailing list