From: Ryan Hill <dirtyepic@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-dev] Re: USE flag documentation
Date: Mon, 14 Jan 2008 02:59:40
1 Mark Loeser wrote:
2 > Here is a newer revision of the GLEP. I still have multiple methods of
3 > solving this problem (mostly because I want and *need* input from people
4 > as to what they would prefer). Please tell me what you would want to
5 > use so I can come up with a more precise specification. What exactly do
6 > we need this system to do that we can't do now? Is overriding the USE
7 > flag with use.local.desc sufficient and we just need to document the
8 > current solution properly?
9 >
10 > Please...let me know how you feel about this.
11 >
12 > http://dev.gentoo.org/~halcy0n/gleps/glep-0054.html
13 >
14 > Thanks,
15
16 What do people think of this?
17
18 a) Keep use.desc as it is: a list of common flags and a short general
19 description of their meaning.
20
21 b) Keep use.local.desc as it is: a list of per-package flags that are specific
22 to one to a few ebuilds (i think 5 is the number though i think 10 is more
23 appropriate, but that's not relevant to this discussion). Again, each has a
24 short description.
25
26 c) Allow flags from use.desc to also exist in use.local.desc. In the case that
27 a flag for a package exists in both, the use.local.desc description overrides
28 the use.desc one. This allows a more specific per-package description of global
29 flags.
30
31 d) Allow long descriptions in a package's metadata.xml, as some have begun to do
32 already, for cases where more info is needed. For example I'd like to explain
33 exactly what the bindist flag on freetype does and what legal implications
34 disabling it can have.
35
36 The reason I suggest we do it this way is it's very close to what we're already
37 doing now. The only thing we'd need to do is decide it's okay to do (c) and
38 adapt our various utils to use the use.local.desc description when both exist.
39 I actually planned on proposing something like this about a year ago but never
40 got around to it. But at the time I did some poking and found that several of
41 our utils already did the right thing while the others needed minor adjustments
42 (I think I had a one-line patch for equery). We also needn't worry about
43 breaking 3rd party tools. The worst that would happen is they'd display the
44 use.desc description, which is what they do now.
45
46 On the other hand, if there are any far-reaching changes we need made to the USE
47 flag system - any features we wish we had or misfeatures we wish we didn't - now
48 would be a good time to address them.
52 fonts, by design, by neglect
53 gcc-porting, for a fact or just for effect
54 wxwindows @ gentoo EFFD 380E 047A 4B51 D2BD C64F 8AA8 8346 F9A4 0662
57 gentoo-dev@l.g.o mailing list