From: Alec Warner <antarus@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Re: Re: Masking practics
Date: Mon, 07 Aug 2006 13:55:03
1 Enrico Weigelt wrote:
2 > <big_snip />
3 >
4 > My problem still seems unsolved (or did I miss something) ?
5 >
6 > Lets say, if I've, installed foo-1.1, and it gets masked due
7 > some bug(s), but 1.0 isn't, I want to get informed with an big
8 > fat warning, *before* anything actually done, ie.
9 >
10 > [...]
11 > # WARNING: installed package foo-1.1 has been masked and would
12 > # be downgraded:
13 > # <masking comment ...>
14 > [...]
15 >
16 > An fully-automatic downgrade should *never* downgrade anything.
17 > This is too dangerous, because essential features can get lost.
18 > Again, my bugzilla example: assuming 2.22 will be unmasked some
19 > day and I installed it w/ postgres support. Now there are some
20 > bugs found, but not fixed fast enough, so it gets masked.
21 > I run an update w/o knowing that it downgrades, and my whole
22 > bugzilla hosting is suddenly broken.
23 >
24 > Do you consider this as stability, seriously ?!
27 I would call you a horrible administrator since this:
28 "I run an update w/o knowing that it downgrades"
29 should NEVER happen.
30
31 emerge -pv foo
32 [ebuild UD] cat/foo-currentversion [downgraded-version] <stuff>
35 gentoo-dev@g.o mailing list