From: Enrico Weigelt <weigelt@×××××.de>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Re: Re: Masking practics
Date: Mon, 07 Aug 2006 13:05:24
1 <big_snip />
2
3 My problem still seems unsolved (or did I miss something) ?
4
5 Lets say, if I've, installed foo-1.1, and it gets masked due
6 some bug(s), but 1.0 isn't, I want to get informed with an big
7 fat warning, *before* anything actually done, ie.
8
9 [...]
10 # WARNING: installed package foo-1.1 has been masked and would
11 # be downgraded:
12 # <masking comment ...>
13 [...]
14
15 An fully-automatic downgrade should *never* downgrade anything.
16 This is too dangerous, because essential features can get lost.
17 Again, my bugzilla example: assuming 2.22 will be unmasked some
18 day and I installed it w/ postgres support. Now there are some
19 bugs found, but not fixed fast enough, so it gets masked.
20 I run an update w/o knowing that it downgrades, and my whole
21 bugzilla hosting is suddenly broken.
22
23 Do you consider this as stability, seriously ?!
26 cu
27 --
29 Enrico Weigelt == metux IT service - http://www.metux.de/
31 Please visit the OpenSource QM Taskforce:
32 http://wiki.metux.de/public/OpenSource_QM_Taskforce
33 Patches / Fixes for a lot dozens of packages in dozens of versions:
34 http://patches.metux.de/
36 --
37 gentoo-dev@g.o mailing list