From: Simon Stelling <blubb@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Re: Re: Masking practics
Date: Mon, 07 Aug 2006 13:25:48
1 Enrico Weigelt wrote:
2 > <big_snip />
3 >
4 > My problem still seems unsolved (or did I miss something) ?
5 >
6 > Lets say, if I've, installed foo-1.1, and it gets masked due
7 > some bug(s), but 1.0 isn't, I want to get informed with an big
8 > fat warning, *before* anything actually done, ie.
9 >
10 > [...]
11 > # WARNING: installed package foo-1.1 has been masked and would
12 > # be downgraded:
13 > # <masking comment ...>
14 > [...]
15 >
16 > An fully-automatic downgrade should *never* downgrade anything.
17 > This is too dangerous, because essential features can get lost.
18 > Again, my bugzilla example: assuming 2.22 will be unmasked some
19 > day and I installed it w/ postgres support. Now there are some
20 > bugs found, but not fixed fast enough, so it gets masked.
21 > I run an update w/o knowing that it downgrades, and my whole
22 > bugzilla hosting is suddenly broken.
23 >
24 > Do you consider this as stability, seriously ?!
25
26 If your bugzilla hosting breaks with lower versions, then the ebuild contains a
27 RDEPEND="postgres? ( >=dev-db/postgresql-2.22 )". Now if >=postgresql-2.22 gets
28 masked, portage will bail out with an error because it can't find a valid
29 dependency tree. This will cause the comment above the masking line in p.mask to
30 be shown. You can then decide whether the breakage affects you or not and
31 depending on that unmask it locally or remove your bugzilla installation.
32
33 If there is a bugzilla-ebuild which works with <postgresql-2.22, it will be
34 downgraded too, leaving you with a working bugzilla.
35
36 I can't quite see the massive problem.
39 Kind Regards,
40
41 Simon Stelling
42 Gentoo/AMD64 Developer