From: Duncan <1i5t5.duncan@×××.net>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-dev] Re: Re: Masking practics
Date: Fri, 04 Aug 2006 13:35:45
1 Jakub Moc <jakub@g.o> posted 44D25D79.2050704@g.o, excerpted
2 below, on Thu, 03 Aug 2006 22:32:57 +0200:
3
4 > Alec Warner wrote:
5 >> Enrico Weigelt wrote:
6 >>> * Duncan schrieb:
7 >>>
8 >>>> How can it be too late? You sync during that 30 days it's masked, do
9 >>>> an emerge --pretend --update world, and see that it's going to
10 >>>> downgrade.
11 >>> How do I see it (without actually having the version numbers in mind?)
12 >>>
13 >>> Why I need is simply an command line, which just tells me, which
14 >>> packages are now re-masked and which ones are scheduled for removal.
15 >
16 > Erm, am I missing something?
17 >
18 > # emerge -uDpv world
19 >
20 > !!! Ebuilds for the following packages are either all !!! masked or don't
21 > exist:
22 > media-libs/tunepimp
23
24 Exactly, altho I did make the slight mistake of saying downgrade, when we
25 are talking removing from the tree so it would be (as above) all masked,
26 not just a downgrade. With all versions masked, the warning is more
27 verbose than simply a downgrade, including a mention of why (in this case
28 package.mask, with the package.mask entry and associated comment, with
29 portage 2.1.1-preX anyway).
30
31 <quote>
32 !!! All ebuilds that could satisfy "tunepimp" have been masked.
33 !!! One of the following masked packages is required to complete your request:
34 - media-libs/tunepimp-0.4.2 (masked by: package.mask)
35 # Diego Pettenò <flameeyes@g.o> (24 Jul 2006)
36 # TunePimp has security problems (#140184) and isn't API stable yet
37 # scheduled for removal.
38
39 - media-libs/tunepimp-0.3.0 (masked by: package.mask)
40 - media-libs/tunepimp-0.4.0 (masked by: package.mask)
41 - media-libs/tunepimp-0.3.0-r1 (masked by: package.mask)
42
43 For more information, see MASKED PACKAGES section in the emerge man page or
44 refer to the Gentoo Handbook.
45 </quote>
46
47 So it tells you exactly which packages are available but masked, that
48 they're masked and by what (package.mask), and what the comment masking
49 them is -- scheduled for removal due to security bugs, with a bug number.
50
51 That seems like all the necessary info to me, including a bug to look up
52 for more information, if desired. The "scheduled for removal" certainly
53 suggests to me that if I want to keep it, I better put it in my overlay
54 /now/.
59 and if you use the program, he is your master." Richard Stallman
62 gentoo-dev@g.o mailing list