From: Duncan <1i5t5.duncan@×××.net>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-dev] Re: Re: Re: Masking practics
Date: Mon, 07 Aug 2006 17:20:09
1 Enrico Weigelt <weigelt@×××××.de> posted
2 20060807130156.GE25236@××××××.local, excerpted below, on Mon, 07 Aug 2006
3 15:01:57 +0200:
4
5 > My problem still seems unsolved (or did I miss something) ?
6
7 You missed something.
8
9 > Lets say, if I've, installed foo-1.1, and it gets masked due some bug(s),
10 > but 1.0 isn't, I want to get informed with an big fat warning, *before*
11 > anything actually done, ie.
12 >
13 > [...]
14 > # WARNING: installed package foo-1.1 has been masked and would # be
15 > downgraded:
16 > # <masking comment ...>
17 > [...]
18
19 That's precisely what emerge --pretend --verbose covers. Or, if you want
20 the display with a question to continue or not, use --ask instead of
21 --verbose.
22
23 A good Gentoo user (read that as a good system administrator, because
24 that's exactly what a Gentoo distribution user is in this context) will
25 never run a straight "fully automatic" upgrade/downgrade, without knowing
26 exactly what's going to be done, because that's foolhardy, as you
27 correctly point out. They will always know what to expect, because they
28 will have either used --pretend first, or will use --ask as a matter of
29 course.
30
31 Are you actually suggesting that you run emerge --update /blind/,
32 /without/ having viewed the --pretend (or --ask) output to see what it's
33 going to actually do, first? No /wonder/ you are having problems if so!
34 That's why the --pretend and --ask switches are /there/! Use them for
35 what they are intended for, and you'll no longer be troubled by downgrades
36 without warning. Only /after/ you are comfortable that the command will
37 do what you expect/want, do you run it without the --pretend, or say yes to
38 the --ask.
43 and if you use the program, he is your master." Richard Stallman
46 gentoo-dev@g.o mailing list