From: Grant Goodyear <g2boojum@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Reminder on dependencies.
Date: Tue, 25 Oct 2005 16:59:59
1 Donnie Berkholz wrote: [Tue Oct 25 2005, 04:28:17AM CDT]
2 > I'm still failing to see how headers have anything to do with runtime
3 > issues -- it should be people's responsibility to ensure they have the
4 > necessary headers if they're compiling things that require them. And
5 > compiling means DEPEND.
6
7 It's possible that I'm being particularly dense today, but at least at
8 the moment it seems fairly simple to me. DEPEND means that portage
9 requires the dep for the current package to build successfully.
10 RDEPEND, on the other hand, lists dependencies that users of a package
11 will need down the road, after it's installed on the system. So, for
12 example, libfoo might not require that boost be installed for it to
13 build, but libfoo might export a header file that imports
14 boost/tuple.hpp. If boost isn't in libfoo's RDEPEND, then when user
15 Fred installs libfoo from a binary package and tries to use libfoo's
16 header files in development, a rude shock is likely.
17
18 > Maybe for some people compiling is included in runtime, but I'm not one
19 > of them.
20
21 I am. I frequently compile software against installed libraries in my
22 day job. I don't run into this problem solely because I don't install
23 binary packages.
24
25 My apologies if I'm missing the point here.
26
27 -g2boojum-
28 --
29 Grant Goodyear
30 Gentoo Developer
31 g2boojum@g.o
32 http://www.gentoo.org/~g2boojum
33 GPG Fingerprint: D706 9802 1663 DEF5 81B0 9573 A6DC 7152 E0F6 5B76