From: Jason Mobarak <aether@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Cc: gentoo-dev-lang@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Programming advice wanted?
Date: Mon, 22 Mar 2004 15:05:31
1 I second learning Python, you'll have a lot more fun programming with
2 Python than C and definately more fun than C++ (in my opinion the world
3 should forget C++ ever existed). Learning C later on will be beneficial too.
4
5 Btw, there's a gentoo-dev-lang ml that might be more suited for this.
8 Jason
9
10 Dennis Allison wrote:
11 > First, it is important to understand that programming is independent of
12 > any particular programming language. Languages are just the
13 > representation or notation for programs. Some are large and complex
14 > and likely to get in the way of understanding programming (C++);
15 > others are spare and simple and conceptually clean (Python, Scheme).
16 >
17 > I'd begin with Python and then move on to other languages. Starting with
18 > C++ is a bit like deciding you want to take up mountain climbing and that
19 > the first mountain you want to climb is Mount Everest.