From: Shuduo Sang <sangshuduo@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Gentoo Linux preinstalled
Date: Tue, 18 Oct 2005 16:22:08
1 2005/10/17, Chris Gianelloni <wolf31o2@g.o>:
2 > On Mon, 2005-10-17 at 15:06 +0800, Shuduo Sang wrote:
3 > > I want to know is there any way to install a gentoo to an embedded system?
4 > > For example, ipaq. Because those samll devices do not have enough effort to
5 > > build a system from stage1. But it still need a portage-like way to upgrade
6 > > packages.
7 >
8 > Considering there is a "Gentoo Embedded" project that has been releasing
9 > stages, I would say yes. In fact, they have stages for several
10 > architectures available. Check out /experimental/$arch/embedded/stages
11 > on a local mirror that mirrors /experimental.
12 >
13 > One thing to remember is that these stages are complete stage3, just
14 > using uclibc, so there may still be packages that you do not require for
15 > your end system.
18 I did not find out the document of gentoo-embedded.
19 I'd like to customize my system. from desktop to embedded device.
20 I think most small devices would not support a big disk now. So I just
21 wanna install some packages I need. And update them on my demand.
22 So I think portage is a good way if it already meet my requirement.
23
24 > --
25 > Chris Gianelloni
26 > Release Engineering - Strategic Lead
27 > x86 Architecture Team
28 > Games - Developer
29 > Gentoo Linux
44 gentoo-dev@g.o mailing list