From: Stuart Longland <redhatter@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Of Mips and Devs [Was: Monthly Gentoo Council Reminder for January]
Date: Fri, 11 Jan 2008 07:04:42
1 Kumba wrote:
2 > Mike Frysinger wrote:
3 >>
4 >> that certainly sounds reasonable to me. if the stable cant be
5 >> maintained, let the common workflow of developers transition it back
6 >> to ~arch until someone has the time to keep arch usable. changing
7 >> profiles.desc accordingly should be done ahead of time. perhaps a new
8 >> category for profiles.desc ? "exp" for such ports ? i could see all
9 >> *-fbsd ports being moved there. tweak repoman to be less verbose
10 >> about dep issues for such profiles and we're set.
11 >
12 > Sounds like a plan. 'exp' would be the 'status' field? I need to
13 > remove 2006.1, as that profile has been a big holdup due to it not being
14 > glibc-2.4 friendly (or one of the newer glibcs back in that era; I
15 > forget). Even pondering just outright booting 2007.0, as I've been
16 > using 2007.1-dev since I commited it long ago, and haven't had an issue
17 > with it really. I can then put 2008.0-dev together and use it as a
18 > launch platform for ~arch migration.
19
20 This is fine by me too. At the moment, my 2007.1 stages are built with
21 stable keywords in mind, but that's something the user can easily fix. ;-)
22
23 >> i see dropping keywords as a very last resort. getting a port *back*
24 >> into the tree is a *tremendous* amount of work (i went through it and
25 >> it was hell), while keeping ~arch alive is a sliver of effort and
26 >> generally not a blocker for package maintainers.
27 >
28 > Aye, I believe that was sh's removal and subsequent re-add?
29 >
30 > Part of the hangup lately has been our kernel support. O2 systems are
31 > dead in the water in 2.6.24, and only work in 2.6.23 if you apply a hack
32 > to serial_core (a hack that only masks a problem rather than fixes it).
33 > Octane's I can still forward port, but with the upstream author having
34 > moved onto other interests, if something breaks badly enough from one
35 > version to the next, then I run the risk of getting stuck on a
36 > particular version permanently.
37
38 Lately, I've been slacking for the last few weeks... no excuses... I've
39 been concentrating on other projects and interests.
40
41 Part of this is that I've been trying to get µClibc stages going so we
42 can build some newer netboot images (at this point, I'm considering
43 doing a few bloated ones based on glibc) but thus far, I haven't been
44 successful. I haven't bothered since my trip down to Gibraltar Ranges
45 National Park.
46
47 I've got one of the Lemote boxes building a userland that'll hopefully
48 become a LiveUSB image that'll allow a user to try out Gentoo on one of
49 these systems, and install it (by hand... although ultimately having the
50 Gentoo Installer would be good too). At last check, it was building KDE
51 3.5.8. Presently, the only way to install Gentoo, is to use my
52 precompiled kernel and stage3 tarball to boot the box using
53 Root-over-NFS, so I'd like to get this going properly soon.
54
55 My TODO list at present (no specific order):
56 o Build a new netboot image for Cobalt
57 o Rebuild my Qube2 using the 2007.1 stage3
58 o Build boot media for Lemote Fulong
59 o Test X11-related patches for Fulong on other MIPS systems to make sure
60 they don't break anything (at some point, I'd like to see these
61 systems supported out-of-the-box by Gentoo)
62 o Check the documentation is still accurate
63 o Clean up the bugzilla list
64
65 Kumba,
66 Since you're otherwise busy with other things, did you want me to build
67 some new big-endian stages based on the 2007.1-dev profile? If so,
68 could I get access to the SWARM? (I could do it on my O2, but I think
69 the SWARM will easily outperform it.)
70 --
71 Stuart Longland (aka Redhatter) .'''.
72 Gentoo Linux/MIPS Cobalt and Docs Developer '.'` :
74 http://dev.gentoo.org/~redhatter :.'
75
76 I haven't lost my mind...
77 ...it's backed up on a tape somewhere.