From: Thomas Deutschmann <whissi@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Stabilizations and src_test
Date: Sun, 12 Apr 2020 09:33:54
1 On 2020-04-12 11:21, Michał Górny wrote:
2 > This is not a problem that can be solved by a binary flag.
3 >
4 > If package's test suite is entirely broken and unmaintained, the package
5 > should use RESTRICT=test and not silently ask arch teams to ignore it.
6 >
7 > If package's test suite is only slightly broken, then I'd prefer saying
8 > 'please report but ignore *these* test failures' because I can't fix
9 > them right now but they don't seem major. Skipping the test suite
10 > entirely is not a solution because it doesn't disambiguate between 'few
11 > tests fail' and 'every single test explodes'.
12
13 ACK. I also see no need for any new mechanism.
16 > - There are people that rant if you open a test failure bug against their
17 > packages and you block the stabilization.
18
19 Maybe start ignoring those packages until people learn that
20 stabilization is a lot of effort/work. Really, if you call for
21 stabilization and haven't tested your own package you are offloading
22 work to others which is not nice. I also dislike maintainers who simply
23 restrict tests on first failure. But in the end it's at least a strong
24 signal about package quality and state in Gentoo. :)
28 Regards,
29 Thomas Deutschmann / Gentoo Linux Developer
30 C4DD 695F A713 8F24 2AA1 5638 5849 7EE5 1D5D 74A5