From: Andreas Sturmlechner <asturm@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Stabilizations and src_test
Date: Sun, 12 Apr 2020 11:58:31
1 On Sunday, 12 April 2020 11:33:38 CEST Thomas Deutschmann wrote:
2 > On Sunday, 12 April 2020 10:43:07 CEST Agostino Sarubbo wrote:
3 > > - There are people that rant if you open a test failure bug against their
4 > > packages and you block the stabilization.
5 >
6 > Maybe start ignoring those packages until people learn that
7 > stabilization is a lot of effort/work. Really, if you call for
8 > stabilization and haven't tested your own package you are offloading
9 > work to others which is not nice. I also dislike maintainers who simply
10 > restrict tests on first failure. But in the end it's at least a strong
11 > signal about package quality and state in Gentoo. :)
12
13 Not so fast. Let's not forget that so many tests are fragile and not even easy
14 to reproduce on a different system. And then there are those that randomly
15 break by a dependency bump after the fact, we don't have continuous build CI
16 so no one is to blame. It sends more of a signal about upstream package
17 quality than Gentoo's, or that they just do not care to make tests work for
18 packaging environments, and it is not a good use of our time to make it so. I
19 agree then that it is better to simply restrict if we know the tests fail,
20 rather than introduce a new mechanism.
21
22 And when I look at the amount of foreign (to me) packages I need to call
23 stabilisation for because their maintainer didn't, then that work has already
24 been offloaded to me, so we're in the same boat.
25
26 People may rant when their stabilisation is blocked by failing tests, but let
27 me recommend to not take that personally when it most likely is just a big
28 sigh at the circumstances/package in question.
29
30 Regards,
31 Andreas