From: Michael Orlitzky <mjo@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] GLEP81 and /home
Date: Sun, 19 Jan 2020 21:00:26
1 On 1/19/20 2:47 PM, Rich Freeman wrote:
2 >
3 > Obviously the UIDs associated with the shared /home need to be
4 > identical. Simplest solution is to sync anything > 1000 in
5 > /etc/passwd, and then not allow UIDs below 1000 in /home. A cron job
6 > could easily handle both, and of course regular users can't go
7 > creating stuff with the wrong UID anyway.
8
9 That's not enough. You also need to sync any user/group that appears as
10 the owner or group of a file in /home, and every user/group that appears
11 in an ACL in /home, and so on. And since you have no idea what files or
12 access control lists will show up in /home, you'd better sync them all.
15 >> We've talked this to death. Barring any new evidence, /home still seems
16 >> like the best place for these, and I don't want to put them in the wrong
17 >> spot (forcing users to migrate) just to appease a QA warning from before
18 >> GLEP81 was a thing.
19 >
20 > Well, great, then by all means ask QA for a policy exception. Not my
21 > place to yell at you if you don't, but don't be surprised if somebody
22 > else does...
25 I'm not going to violate the policy, I'm going to delete the keepdir
26 file from $D. Then everything is back to normal.
27
28 If I was willing to introduce a QA warning, this thread would have been
29 a lot shorter =P