From: Rich Freeman <rich0@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev <gentoo-dev@l.g.o>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] GLEP81 and /home
Date: Mon, 20 Jan 2020 01:20:46
1 On Sun, Jan 19, 2020 at 4:00 PM Michael Orlitzky <mjo@g.o> wrote:
2 >
3 > On 1/19/20 2:47 PM, Rich Freeman wrote:
4 > >
5 > > Obviously the UIDs associated with the shared /home need to be
6 > > identical. Simplest solution is to sync anything > 1000 in
7 > > /etc/passwd, and then not allow UIDs below 1000 in /home. A cron job
8 > > could easily handle both, and of course regular users can't go
9 > > creating stuff with the wrong UID anyway.
10 >
11 > That's not enough. You also need to sync any user/group that appears as
12 > the owner or group of a file in /home, and every user/group that appears
13 > in an ACL in /home, and so on. And since you have no idea what files or
14 > access control lists will show up in /home, you'd better sync them all.
15
16 That doesn't seem reasonable, considering that this could require
17 syncing across various Distros, or even various Unix-like OSes.
18 It would be far simpler for the sysadmin to simply ensure that no
19 unsynced user owns a file or appears in an ACL. That would be pretty
20 trivial to achieve. Whatever is hosting /home could be designed to
21 block such changes, or you could just scan for these ownership issues
22 periodically and treat those responsible for them appropriately.
23
24 In any case, maintaining permissions on stuff in /home is a sysadmin
25 responsibility, not a distro responsibility.
26