From: Mark Bainter <mark-gt@×××××.org>
To: Moritz Schulte <moritz@×××××××××××××××.de>
Cc: gentoo-dev@g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] License criteria for Gentoo
Date: Tue, 24 Sep 2002 10:10:59
1 Moritz Schulte [moritz@×××××××××××××××.de] wrote:
2 > Mark Bainter <mark-gt@×××××.org> writes:
3 >
4 > > I think it really has little to do with giving credit for that
5 > > development to the developers. That's already done.
6 >
7 > Well, it is done, because there are people out there who mention that
8 > GNU is such an important piece of the whole operating system. If no
9 > one would mention GNU and it would be only the "Linux system" - this
10 > wouldn't seem like much credit to the GNU people to me.
11
12 It is done because names/info is right there in the documentation
13 and man pages. Same as every other tool and application.
14
15 > > To think that they are or were somehow critically important to this
16 > > movement is incredibly foolish.
17 >
18 > Really? I am not so sure wether the Free Software movement would
19 > exist nowadays without the FSF and the GNU Project.
20
21 You are certainly entitled to your opinion. However, remember that
22 nature abhors a vacuum. In my opinion, it would've simply been a
23 matter of time before someone else did it. This doesn't mean those
24 who worked hard to bring us what we have today don't deserve our
25 thanks or credit for what they did, but it DOES mean they shouldn't
26 get a big head and act like the whole movement hinge(s|d) on their
27 existence. It doesn't.