From: Ciaran McCreesh <ciaran.mccreesh@××××××××××.com>
To: "Michał Górny" <mgorny@g.o>
Cc: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Unified DEPENDENCIES concept
Date: Fri, 07 Sep 2012 12:39:51
1 On Fri, 7 Sep 2012 14:29:41 +0200
2 Michał Górny <mgorny@g.o> wrote:
3 > > Here's the important bit, which I shall prefix with some stars:
4 > >
5 > > *** The point of DEPENDENCIES is not to replace n variables with one
6 > > *** variable.
7 >
8 > Yes, it is.
9
10 You've clearly either completely missed the point of all of this,
11 despite it being pointed out to you, or are just trying to cause
12 trouble. Whilst you may be thinking of a DEPENDENCIES proposal that is
13 about replacing n variables with one variable (and I've never seen such
14 a proposal being made), what we're discussing here is not that. Kindly
15 stay out of this discussion until you understand what it is we're
16 discussing.
17
18 > These are the rules for a machine. People don't actually read
19 > dependencies sequentially. Provide a good algorithm which works from
20 > any position.
21
22 Read backwards from the current position until you find a label. It's
23 the same algorithm you use to find out what the current section is when
24 you're reading an article.
25
26 > The algorithm you presented above was technicality as well.
27
28 Agreed, but it was explicitly requested by Brian, so I provided it.
29
30 > So, now that your forked the thread
31
32 ...as requested by Brian...
33
34 > shall we repeat all the disadvantages which you love to forgot to
35 > mention?
36
37 No, please stay out of this until you understand the original proposal,
38 and in particular the parts marked with ***. So long as you don't
39 understand what we're discussing, I'm afraid any contributions you make
40 will simply be shouting and waving.
43 Ciaran McCreesh