From: Matthew Marchese <maffblaster@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] [RFC] Rebooting the Installer Project
Date: Sun, 19 Jul 2015 07:03:34
1 NP,
2
3 You bring about some good points. stager still start with command-line interface that can either pass values via command-line options + arguments or via 'profiles' which are .ini formatted text files with values predefined. The name 'profile' is subject to change because I don't want to confuse new users with system profiles, which would also be able to get set...
4
5 The web interface, if it ever happens, will come some time after the cli.
6
7 The goal of the web interface would allow for "unattended graphical installs." It would perform almost like the old GLI did: go through a step by step process of setting a configuration (or simply point it to a predefined .ini file), click "install" and walk away. As long as the user knows what hardware is on his/her system, they should be able to configure things correctly. Just start up the server before you walk away and can set all the parameters for the install in a web page.
8
9 The priorities of the project would be this order:
10
11 1) Seasoned users
12 * Saving time creating backups, recovering, or installing new systems
13 * Providing an install "framework". It seems many Gentoo users have their own set of scripts for backups, installation, etc. stager could provide a base for those who have not been taking simple system backups.
14 2) New users
15 * New users would still need to read the Handbook in order to learn how Gentoo works and to properly configure the installer.
16 * In some ways I would like the installer to be a teaching tool that will help people get their feet wet with our great OS.
17
18 maffblaster
19