From: Chris Bainbridge <C.J.Bainbridge@×××××.uk>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Interaction in ebuilds - bad idea?
Date: Sat, 01 May 2004 11:03:47
1 On Thursday 29 April 2004 22:01, Eldad Zack wrote:
2 > On Fri, 2004-04-30 at 00:04, Ajai Khattri wrote:
3 > > Let's say I have an ebuild that uses mysql. Somewhere is a place for you
4 > > to specify the host, db name, username and password for MySQL during the
5 > > build process. If I wanted to ask the user that info, then what is the
6 > > standard way of doing that? (Or am I using the wrong paradigm?).
7 >
8 > The best way is to allow run-time configuration in /etc files.
9 >
10 > If you MUST specify these details at build time (and without knowing
11 > exactly what is the application in question) - well, it's a braindamaged
12 > application. IMHO, this should go in a portage enviornmental and the
13 > ebuild should never be interactive.
14
15 Sometimes this just isn't possible. I had one application which required
16 src_uri files to be retrieved from a password protected ftp server. Portage
17 should be powerful enough to do stuff like that without hardcoding usernames
18 and passwords in the ebuild.
21 gentoo-dev@g.o mailing list