From: Eldad Zack <eldad@××××××××××××××.cx>
To: Gentoo-Dev <gentoo-dev@l.g.o>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Interaction in ebuilds - bad idea?
Date: Thu, 29 Apr 2004 21:07:51
1 On Fri, 2004-04-30 at 00:04, Ajai Khattri wrote:
2 > Let's say I have an ebuild that uses mysql. Somewhere is a place for you
3 > to specify the host, db name, username and password for MySQL during the
4 > build process. If I wanted to ask the user that info, then what is the
5 > standard way of doing that? (Or am I using the wrong paradigm?).
6
7 The best way is to allow run-time configuration in /etc files.
8
9 If you MUST specify these details at build time (and without knowing
10 exactly what is the application in question) - well, it's a braindamaged
11 application. IMHO, this should go in a portage enviornmental and the
12 ebuild should never be interactive.
15 Eldad
19 gentoo-dev@g.o mailing list