From: Kent Fredric <kentnl@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Re: Common rsync-gen errors, why they happen, and what you can do about it
Date: Wed, 18 Jan 2017 09:04:41
1 On Wed, 18 Jan 2017 08:19:19 +0100
2 Dirkjan Ochtman <djc@g.o> wrote:
3
4 > This sounds like a much better strategy to me. We're expecting people
5 > to check things that should be easy to check for machines. Yes, some
6 > people (like myself) will always use repoman to commit, but it would
7 > be much better if something this important (because it basically
8 > delays other updates to users everywhere) is checked by an automated
9 > process for every push, and disallows pushes like this.
10
11 That's not viable, mostly because the performance cost of doing so is significantly
12 time consuming, that it would block `git push` for minutes at a time, and all users
13 performing pushes would have to wait in a queue for several minutes per push.
14
15 At scale, I'd expect the push'es to start timing out.
16
17 That's why the gating is done between git-master and rsync-master,
18 not between the user and git-master.
19
20 Just imagine needing to wait for a travis test run to complete on the end
21 of every commit, stacked with there being 20 different jobs per push
22 and having to use the slower non-container architecture.
23
24 Nobody would be working on *that* project, or people would simply make
25 much larger push-queues, increasing the amount of conflicts and progressive
26 de-coherence.
29 > > I can see if it's something I need to fix with my code. But it's been
30 > > a while since that's been the case, so all the failures these days are
31 > > primarily for the previously mentioned issues.
32 >
33 > That makes sense. My other comment initially reading your email would
34 > be, send those emails to gentoo-core or -project or whatever. If
35 > others don't get to feel the pain (of every half-hour error emails,
36 > for example), they will be much less compelled to fix the problem. So
37 > absorbing this "pain" into just you or infra makes us less scalable as
38 > a distribution, and less likely that someone will feel motivated to
39 > add the extra bits of automation (like a git hook) that will make this
40 > problem go away.
41
42 +1 , I was aware that "somebody" knew the tree was breaking, but I had
43 no understanding of what was breaking, why it was breaking, or even how
44 people knew it was breaking.
45
46 And so upon reading the original email hearing that people could
47 even be notified of this fact, made me immediately question what I should
48 be doing to see said notifications, or if there was even a page
49 that I could check periodically to know what the state of the sync was.
50
51 As the saying goes, information and awareness of the problem is a critical
52 first step to solving the problem.