From: Samuli Suominen <ssuominen@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev <gentoo-dev@l.g.o>
Subject: [gentoo-dev] /lib/modprobe.d vs. /etc/modprobe.d
Date: Sun, 27 Jan 2013 15:08:47
1 I see a lot of packages installing /etc/modprobe.d when it should be
2 treated like /etc/udev, so only generated files and users own files
3
4 I'm suggesting converting ebuilds to install into /lib/modprobe.d and
5 then tell users to copy it to /etc/modprobe.d for editing and replacing
6 the run of the same from /lib/modprobe.d
7
8 just like you would now copy .rules to /etc/udev/rules.d and edit them
9 there, instead of directly in /lib/udev/rules.d/
10
11 /lib should be static, just like /usr, and should be allowed to mount RO
12
13 did I miss something?
14
15 if not, i'll open a Tracker to get this done
16
17 (when do we get rid of /usr/portage again, and when will /usr/src be
18 symlink to somewhere where it can be writable?)