From: Jeremy Olexa <darkside@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] RFC: Project proposal -- maintainer-wanted
Date: Thu, 14 May 2009 01:47:43
1 Mart Raudsepp wrote:
2 > Hello,
3 >
4 > I have had this project in my mind for a while, so it's about time to
5 > get it out there, as to see if feedback finds it a good one - and if
6 > that is so, if there are people who want to make it happen.
7 <snip>
8
9 Hmm, I wonder what the point is when there is 400 maintainer-needed bugs
10 open..
11
12 I think a maintainer-wanted team won't accomplish much because it just
13 uses more developer time from a pool of "not enough time" that exists
14 already. If people are a) too lazy to contribute to sunrise, b) don't
15 know about sunrise, or c) don't know enough about ebuilds to contribute
16 to sunrise, then we need to fix[1] that.
17
18 I don't see any reason to create a team that duplicates the sunrise
19 work. Keep in mind, I am against pretty much any overlay, I think work
20 should be kept in the main tree. But, for ebuild maintenance with
21 limited developer time, sunrise just makes sense(tm).
22
23 Some other possible directions include:
24 1) maintainer-needed team - Where a group maintains the set of 761
25 m-needed packages.
26 2) proxy maint project[2] - Where a group helps users commit to the main
27 tree, very similar to the sunrise project. Very similar to this proposal
28 but better conserves our developer time.
29
30 -Jeremy
31
32 [1]: http://dev.gentoo.org/~darkside/sunrise_proposal.txt