From: Mart Raudsepp <leio@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] RFC: Project proposal -- maintainer-wanted
Date: Thu, 14 May 2009 10:12:34
1 On Wed, 2009-05-13 at 20:47 -0500, Jeremy Olexa wrote:
2 > Mart Raudsepp wrote:
3 > > Hello,
4
5 Hey,
6
7 > > I have had this project in my mind for a while, so it's about time to
8 > > get it out there, as to see if feedback finds it a good one - and if
9 > > that is so, if there are people who want to make it happen.
10 > <snip>
11 >
12 > Hmm, I wonder what the point is when there is 400 maintainer-needed bugs
13 > open..
14
15 The point is making popular packages available in the _portage tree_.
16 When widely used popular packages end up in maintainer-needed, they tend
17 to be relatively quickly picked up by other teams or developers.
18 maintainer-wanted hopes for the same, that they will tend to be picked
19 up by others. Most of the 400 packages affected by maintainer-needed
20 bugs are probably as such because close to no-one cares about them, and
21 caring by the project proposed here doesn't get us any closer to world
22 domination(tm) - we'd just have more packages of quality, except no-one
23 uses those packages. We already have a set of people, of which you
24 Jeremy seem to be participating in, that takes care of maintainer-needed
25 bugs that have user patches available, hence the packages people
26 actually care about are eventually taken care of as well as I
27 understand. Maybe that project should formalize themselves as well. Or
28 we can add that set of tasks to this one.
29
30 That said, my initial idea months ago was related to the
31 maintainer-needed alias, taking care of the packages of greater interest
32 marked maintainer-needed and introducing new ones that are encouraged to
33 be taken over. But by now I don't think mixing those together is a good
34 idea. The community maintained packages idea from another e-mail was
35 quite good to not mix with maintainer-wanted either (the point about
36 making sure new package requests and bugs against in-tree
37 maintainer-wanted packages don't get mixed), except I think that naming
38 doesn't so strongly express that other dedicated maintainers are
39 desired.
42 > I think a maintainer-wanted team won't accomplish much because it just
43 > uses more developer time from a pool of "not enough time" that exists
44 > already.
45
46 Volunteer manpower doesn't work quite like that.
47 Volunteers have as much time as they make for this as a hobby of
48 interest. Developer A is interested in keeping old crufty stuff dropped
49 to maintainer-needed in quality condition as they like that sort of
50 thing, while developer B doesn't and he likes the satisfaction of making
51 much desired new packages available to the wider user base instead. If
52 you don't have a project encouraging that, developer B can end up just
53 not taking more time for Gentoo and does more of other stuff instead,
54 lets say gardening or watching random TV.
55
56 Because we don't provide monetary motivation to take care of exotic and
57 outdated packages to get that out of the way shouldn't block people
58 motivated in providing popular packages that would be used by a larger
59 set of the user base and contribute to the popularity of Gentoo.
60
61 > If people are a) too lazy to contribute to sunrise, b) don't
62 > know about sunrise, or c) don't know enough about ebuilds to contribute
63 > to sunrise, then we need to fix[1] that.
64
65 Sure, the sunrise project can do all of that. That doesn't make the
66 packages available in the official tree. The maintainer-wanted project
67 however can tap into the work done by sunrise when a popular package is
68 to be added to the tree that already exists in Sunrise. If certain
69 interested in the package users are contributing to Sunrise for that
70 package, they could hopefully be turned into proxy maintainers in the
71 official tree version and perhaps even eventually become developers as
72 well when they have interest in a larger set of packages. If they have
73 been maintaining a lot of different package in Sunrise before that, they
74 seem to be a good candidate in joining the maintainer-wanted team too
75 then, as they seem to be motivated by the kind of work they do, as same
76 work was done in an overlay by him/her before.
77 Close collaboration with Sunrise is good, that is. So the end outcome
78 would be that the packages that are used by many people are available in
79 the official tree.
80
81 > I don't see any reason to create a team that duplicates the sunrise
82 > work. Keep in mind, I am against pretty much any overlay, I think work
83 > should be kept in the main tree. But, for ebuild maintenance with
84 > limited developer time, sunrise just makes sense(tm).
85
86 Developer time is not so strictly limited. The motivation to spend more
87 time on Gentoo instead of other daily non-work not-so productive
88 activities might be limited. Yes, we also have the small set of
89 developers that do a very large chunk of the work - they are limited in
90 time indeed because they already are so motivated to use so much time
91 for Gentoo.
92 I am a strong believer in the correlation of motivation and time spent
93 on volunteer hobby work as you can see.
94
95 > Some other possible directions include:
96 > 1) maintainer-needed team - Where a group maintains the set of 761
97 > m-needed packages.
98
99 Sounds reasonable for achieving different goals. The popular packages of
100 these 761 could be taken over by the maintainer-wanted team as well when
101 that team is interested, while the maintainer-needed team would make
102 sure those remaining 700 packages don't block stabilization of newer
103 system packages, etc
104
105 > 2) proxy maint project[2] - Where a group helps users commit to the main
106 > tree, very similar to the sunrise project. Very similar to this proposal
107 > but better conserves our developer time.
108
109 Maybe adding this blurb to the proposal text:
110 When the bug request for the package has contributors for the package,
111 it is encouraged to draft them as a proxy maintainer(s), with the
112 maintainer-wanted team being the committers and ensuring quality.
113
114 > -Jeremy
115 >
116 > [1]: http://dev.gentoo.org/~darkside/sunrise_proposal.txt