From: Rich Freeman <rich0@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev <gentoo-dev@l.g.o>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] new category: games-adventure/
Date: Sun, 14 Jul 2013 17:37:39
1 On Sun, Jul 14, 2013 at 1:33 PM, Peter Stuge <peter@×××××.se> wrote:
2 > Matt Turner wrote:
3 >> >> And? Two wrongs don't make a right.
4 >> >
5 >> > What do you mean by "And?" - it doesn't make much sense as a reply. :\
6 >>
7 >> He means that none of those provide justification.
8 >
9 > It seemed that the main argument was that there are too few packages
10 > and then then I do think that other categories with few(er!) packages
11 > provide lots of justification.
12
13 I think it is a data point. However, decisions need to make sense on
14 their own, not merely in the sense that they're similar to past
15 decisions. I think continuity has some value, but not on its own.
16
17 In any case, I consider a small number of packages in a category as a
18 warning that something is probably wrong, not really an end-reason for
19 rejecting a course of action. If the category is just immature and
20 likely to grow then a small number of packages isn't a big deal. If
21 the number is small because the category isn't well-defined or adds
22 little value, then that is a reason to stop.
23
24 Rich