From: Paul de Vrieze <pauldv@××××××.nl>
To: gentoo-dev@g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Bugs Bugs Bugs & Unstablity
Date: Wed, 24 Jul 2002 13:31:18
1 On Wednesday 24 July 2002 13:47, Jean-Michel Smith wrote:
2 > It may take a couple or three weeks, but the bug reports do get read,
3 > assigned, and fixed. Of course, if the reports are just sent to the list
4 > and complained about, but never filed with bugzilla, it is entirely
5 > possible they'll never get fixed. The developers have made it plain on
6 > more than one occasion that the mailing lists and forums are in general a
7 > bad place to be filing bug reports.
10 I submitted enough bug reports, and they the fixing time tends to vary. The
11 main reason for slow fixes is either "there is no known solution" (just a
12 difficult bug), "the bug report sucks" (what the hell goes wrong, the ebuild
13 is not good enough and needs a lot of work), "upstream is slow" (well, we
14 cannot fix it, but are waiting for upstream). Ebuild patches are generally
15 processed fast, especially if you describe what your patch does and why. This
16 is to a degree also true for program patches.
17
18 In short, the more you do, the faster you will get a result.
19
20 Paul
23 Paul de Vrieze
24 Junior Researcher