From: Jean-Michel Smith <jsmith@××××.com>
To: Kim Nielsen <kn@××××××××××.dk>, gentoo-dev@g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Bugs Bugs Bugs & Unstablity
Date: Wed, 24 Jul 2002 06:44:58
1 On Wednesday 24 July 2002 03:13 am, Kim Nielsen wrote:
2
3 > Excuse me for sounding a bit grumpy .. but every time I add something
4 > new in bugzilla its stays in bugzilla and no one is using or looking at
5 > it (I submitted a bugfix to the gentoo security guide more than one
6 > month ago). This is how it works with documentation.
7 >
8 > So problems are resolved in the same tempo as with documentation, I can
9 > understand why someone with problems compiling a package prefers to mail
10 > it to the list instead of filling out a bug report.
11
12 I've submitted two bug reports (that I recall).
13
14 One was fixed and resolved very quickly, the other is being worked on (and I
15 periodically receive email detailing the work). The one that hasn't been
16 resolved yet is a really difficult one (OmniORB's f*cked up installation
17 procedure, which having tried to fix myself and failed I can understand the
18 delay on ... working with those .mk scripts is a pain to the nth degree), but
19 even it is being worked on.
20
21 Both of the bugs in question were not critical to the overall functionality of
22 the gentoo system ... they were for ebuilds I happen to want to use, that
23 were (or in the case of omniORB, still are) broken. Critical bugs get fixed
24 much faster.
25
26 It may take a couple or three weeks, but the bug reports do get read,
27 assigned, and fixed. Of course, if the reports are just sent to the list and
28 complained about, but never filed with bugzilla, it is entirely possible
29 they'll never get fixed. The developers have made it plain on more than one
30 occasion that the mailing lists and forums are in general a bad place to be
31 filing bug reports.
32
33 Jean.