From: George Shapovalov <george@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] RFC: GLEP 19 -- Gentoo Stable Portage Tree
Date: Mon, 02 Feb 2004 21:11:44
1 On Monday 02 February 2004 10:27, Brian Jackson wrote:
2 > One problem I have with this is that it says all ebuilds should remain in
3 > the tree for a minimum of one year. 4 releases a year, and every package in
4 > the tree is going to have 4 versions that can't be cleaned out for at least
5 > a year. Not to mention that it's going to be hard to get developers in to
6 > the mindset of saving old ebuilds when we've been beating them ruthlessly
7 > about keeping portage clean for the past 6 months at least. Do you have any
8 > ideas about how to deal with this?
9 Hm, as I read it its supposed to be a separate tree or at least a branch. As
10 such the ebuilds only go in at the releases and then stay there. The real
11 problems would be
12 1. backporting the necessary fixes to the old versions
13 2. Actually cleaning up stale ebuilds. But this one can be automated rather
14 trivially and is only a marginal problem if automation is undesirable..
15
16 However the 1st one is genuine (as I would expect the backporting policy to be
17 essential for a server project), but it may be a part of a "premium" services
18 (along with 1yr -> 3yr extension) if we ever go around that.
19
20 George
24 gentoo-dev@g.o mailing list