From: Rich Freeman <rich0@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev <gentoo-dev@l.g.o>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Changing policy about -Werror
Date: Mon, 10 Sep 2018 00:30:53
1 On Sun, Sep 9, 2018 at 1:50 PM Michael Orlitzky <mjo@g.o> wrote:
2 >
3 > So if you're using -Werror to prevent a
4 > "vulnerable" package from being installed, it doesn't work, and can
5 > actually be harmful if it prevents me from using a better compiler.
8 Whether or not the new compiler is better, it is clearly untested with
9 the package-version in question (otherwise these warnings would have
10 been addressed). For something critical like a filesystem (zfs) that
11 could be useful to know.
12
13 I'm not convinced that this rule ought to be absolute.
14
15 That said, I do agree with your later comments that this creates a
16 messy situation by painting a user into a corner. Other than sticking
17 painful ranged version dependencies on the toolchain into the package
18 I'm not sure if there is a cleaner solution that guarantees that the
19 package won't be built with a version of gcc that is untested with
20 that specific package without a user override.
21
22 I guess we could just have sensitive ebuilds output that it might eat
23 your data if you didn't add -Werror to your CFLAGS and then leave it
24 to the users to decide how much they care about build errors vs
25 unlikely sorry-I-lost-your-10PiB-array errors.
28 Rich