From: Michael Orlitzky <mjo@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Changing policy about -Werror
Date: Sun, 09 Sep 2018 17:51:11
1 On 09/09/2018 07:32 AM, Andrew Savchenko wrote:
2 > Hi!
3 >
4 > Our current -Werror policy demands unconditional removal:
5 > https://devmanual.gentoo.org/ebuild-writing/common-mistakes/index.html#-werror-compiler-flag-not-removed
6 >
7 > I think this is wrong, see bugs 665464, 665538 for a recent
8 > discussion why.
9 >
10 > ...
11 I agree with the QA team on this. For the upstream maintainer, -Werror
12 is useful and deserves to be enabled. For the end-user, on the other
13 hand, it has no real benefit. And for users of a source-based
14 distribution, it is actively harmful. Here are some random points:
15
16 * A -Werror failure doesn't actually prevent me from installing a
17 package, it only prevents me from installing a package with a newer
18 compiler (that often provides other security improvements, like
19 Spectre mitigation). So if you're using -Werror to prevent a
20 "vulnerable" package from being installed, it doesn't work, and can
21 actually be harmful if it prevents me from using a better compiler.
22
23 * The build failures from -Werror don't occur only with new installs.
24 They also occur during rebuilds for things like USE changes or
25 library ABI updates, leaving you with a broken system.
26
27 * Upstream maintainers can't retroactively fix Gentoo versions. If
28 some old version foo-1.0 builds with gcc-8.x and is stable, but then
29 breaks with gcc-9.x due to a new warning, how is upstream going to
30 fix that? They aren't -- and you aren't either without patching a
31 supposedly stable package in-place.
32
33 * Breakage with -Werror prevents upgrades of an already-installed
34 package. If there's a security vulnerability in an old version and
35 if -Werror is preventing me from upgrading (thanks to a gcc upgrade
36 in the meantime), then you've just made things much worse.
37
38 And so on.