From: Philip Webb <purslow@××××××××.net>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] usr merge
Date: Sat, 09 Apr 2016 19:49:53
1 160409 Canek Peláez Valdés wrote:
2 > You use LILO : that means, you don't use UEFI :
3 > that means, almost certainly, you don't use recent hardware.
4
5 I've always used Lilo, which is simple + reliable :
6 I never see questions re it here, but there are many re Grub.
7 I do use recent hardware, a cutting-edge machine I built 6 mth ago .
8 When setting it up, I suppressed UEFI in the BIOS settings :
9 isn't that what anyone not running M$ would do ?
10
11 > Gentoo devs only are saying that if by having separated /usr
12 > without an initramfs, you risk screwing your system.
13
14 I haven't been reading this long thread -- merely skimming some of it -- ,
15 & I missed or didn't understand what is being proposed or imposed.
16 There was an issue earlier re not having /use on a separate partition
17 & both my machines have it on the same partition as / .
18 Is this thread re that earlier matter or is it a new item ?
22 SUPPORT ___________//___, Philip Webb
23 ELECTRIC /] [] [] [] [] []| Cities Centre, University of Toronto
24 TRANSIT `-O----------O---' purslowatchassdotutorontodotca