From: "Canek Peláez Valdés" <caneko@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] usr merge
Date: Sat, 09 Apr 2016 21:24:25
1 On Sat, Apr 9, 2016 at 2:49 PM, Philip Webb <purslow@××××××××.net> wrote:
2 > 160409 Canek Peláez Valdés wrote:
3 >> You use LILO : that means, you don't use UEFI :
4 >> that means, almost certainly, you don't use recent hardware.
5 >
6 > I've always used Lilo, which is simple + reliable :
7 > I never see questions re it here, but there are many re Grub.
8 > I do use recent hardware, a cutting-edge machine I built 6 mth ago .
9 > When setting it up, I suppressed UEFI in the BIOS settings :
10 > isn't that what anyone not running M$ would do ?
11
12 I just disabled secure boot, although it's possible to use it with
13 Linux. However it would require to manually sign everything from boot
14 loader to kernel modules, since Gentoo has no infrastructure to do
15 that. Maybe a future project.
16
17 I don't "supress" UEFI, since it's *obviously* so much better than
18 BIOS, and since bootctl (the program formerly known as gummiboot) it's
19 incredible easy to use. You don't even notice it's there.
20
21 Also, I'm not sure, but I believe there are motherboards where you
22 don't have the option to "supress" UEFI, since they simply don't have
23 BIOS anymore. I could be wrong; but even if that's the case, I'm
24 pretty sure in the future BIOS will get relegated to a niche market,
25 if it doesn't completely disappear.
26
27 Seriously, UEFI is soooo much better.
28
29 Regards.
30 --
31 Dr. Canek Peláez Valdés