From: Philip Webb <purslow@××××××××.net>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] usr merge
Date: Sat, 09 Apr 2016 22:50:58
1 160409 Canek Peláez Valdés wrote:
2 > On Sat, Apr 9, 2016 at 2:49 PM, Philip Webb <purslow@××××××××.net> wrote:
3 >> I've always used Lilo, which is simple + reliable :
4 >> I never see questions re it here, but there are many re Grub.
5 >> I do use recent hardware, a cutting-edge machine I built 6 mth ago .
6 >> When setting it up, I suppressed UEFI in the BIOS settings :
7 >> isn't that what anyone not running M$ would do ?
8 > I just disabled secure boot, although it's possible to use it with Linux.
9 > However, it would require to manually sign everything from boot loader
10 > to kernel modules, since Gentoo has no infrastructure to do that.
11 > I don't "supress" UEFI, since it's *obviously* so much better than BIOS
12 > and since bootctl (the program formerly known as gummiboot)
13 > it's incredible easy to use. You don't even notice it's there.
14
15 Sorry, I meant "suppress secure boot". My mobo doesn't have UEFI.
16
17 > I believe there are motherboards where you don't have the option
18 > to "supress" UEFI, since they simply don't have BIOS anymore.
19 > Seriously, UEFI is soooo much better.
20
21 Thanks for the enlightment (smile).
22
23 Can you or anyone else answer my other question re the origin of the thread ?
24 -- ie is this a revival of not putting /usr on its own partition
25 or is it a new proposal to alter the file system in some other way ?
29 SUPPORT ___________//___, Philip Webb
30 ELECTRIC /] [] [] [] [] []| Cities Centre, University of Toronto
31 TRANSIT `-O----------O---' purslowatchassdotutorontodotca