From: Gordon Pettey <petteyg359@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] usr merge
Date: Sun, 10 Apr 2016 00:38:51
1 On Sat, Apr 9, 2016 at 5:50 PM, Philip Webb <purslow@××××××××.net> wrote:
2
3 > 160409 Canek Peláez Valdés wrote:
4 > > On Sat, Apr 9, 2016 at 2:49 PM, Philip Webb <purslow@××××××××.net>
5 > wrote:
6 > >> I've always used Lilo, which is simple + reliable :
7 > >> I never see questions re it here, but there are many re Grub.
8 > >> I do use recent hardware, a cutting-edge machine I built 6 mth ago .
9 > >> When setting it up, I suppressed UEFI in the BIOS settings :
10 > >> isn't that what anyone not running M$ would do ?
11 > > I just disabled secure boot, although it's possible to use it with Linux.
12 > > However, it would require to manually sign everything from boot loader
13 > > to kernel modules, since Gentoo has no infrastructure to do that.
14 > > I don't "supress" UEFI, since it's *obviously* so much better than BIOS
15 > > and since bootctl (the program formerly known as gummiboot)
16 > > it's incredible easy to use. You don't even notice it's there.
17 >
18 > Sorry, I meant "suppress secure boot". My mobo doesn't have UEFI.
21 If you have "secure boot", you have UEFI. You can't have it without.