From: "M. J. Everitt" <m.j.everitt@×××.org>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] usr merge
Date: Sat, 09 Apr 2016 22:59:30
1 On 09/04/16 23:50, Philip Webb wrote:
2 > 160409 Canek Peláez Valdés wrote:
3 >> On Sat, Apr 9, 2016 at 2:49 PM, Philip Webb <purslow@××××××××.net> wrote:
4 >>> I've always used Lilo, which is simple + reliable :
5 >>> I never see questions re it here, but there are many re Grub.
6 >>> I do use recent hardware, a cutting-edge machine I built 6 mth ago .
7 >>> When setting it up, I suppressed UEFI in the BIOS settings :
8 >>> isn't that what anyone not running M$ would do ?
9 >> I just disabled secure boot, although it's possible to use it with Linux.
10 >> However, it would require to manually sign everything from boot loader
11 >> to kernel modules, since Gentoo has no infrastructure to do that.
12 >> I don't "supress" UEFI, since it's *obviously* so much better than BIOS
13 >> and since bootctl (the program formerly known as gummiboot)
14 >> it's incredible easy to use. You don't even notice it's there.
15 > Sorry, I meant "suppress secure boot". My mobo doesn't have UEFI.
16 >
17 >> I believe there are motherboards where you don't have the option
18 >> to "supress" UEFI, since they simply don't have BIOS anymore.
19 >> Seriously, UEFI is soooo much better.
20 > Thanks for the enlightment (smile).
21 >
22 > Can you or anyone else answer my other question re the origin of the thread ?
23 > -- ie is this a revival of not putting /usr on its own partition
24 > or is it a new proposal to alter the file system in some other way ?
25 >
26 Philip, the discussion was prompted from this original message by WilliamH:
27
28 https://archives.gentoo.org/gentoo-dev/message/df3c1494ea49191d4e3d442e37eb8ca2
29
30 Basically there is a desire to either (1) move /bin, /sbin to /usr/bin,
31 /usr/sbin or (2) the reverse (ie. eliminate /usr) for a variety of
32 reasons, but predominately to offer "more users more choice", and uphold
33 the principle of Gentoo being a distro of flexibility.
34
35 Whilst there is some good pros/cons being aired, there is also the usual
36 amount of gentoo bike-shedding, and personal preference distorting the
37 discussion :) .